Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Review: In This Earth and In That Wind

In This Earth and In That Wind In This Earth and In That Wind by Ŏ-ryŏng Yi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

These essays really reminded me of Lin Yu-tang's in style, and I guess it's good that every country has their own essayist/critique who performs some introspection in a smart, erudite way (Umberto Eco probably fulfilled that role for Italy). 

The essays on the peculiarities of the Korean language are fascinating, although some of them veer into Sapir-Whorf territory (much like Lin Yu-tang did with Chinese in his writings)

The chapter comparing Napoleon to Kim Yu-shin was excellent, as was the one comparing Syngman Rhee to Hitler. 

Some of these essays are out of date, but in a way that makes them even more interesting, since they are a glimpse into old Korea. 

Overall well worth reading. I was given this for free by the RAS Korea and I'm very thankful for that. Otherwise I wouldn't have discovered this author, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year. 


View all my reviews

No comments: