Friday, September 02, 2022

Review: Eurotragedy: A Drama in Nine Acts

Eurotragedy: A Drama in Nine Acts Eurotragedy: A Drama in Nine Acts by Ashoka Mody
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Ok I'm not going to go through this entire book. I mean, I'm no economist (although I do have a Master's degree in it, so I know a little something), and I tend to see myself as quite neoliberal, but this book reads more like a rant than a true critique. I like to keep open to opposing views on anything, since I figure I'll either learn something new or strengthen my argument against it, but this would do neither. It seems too obviously biased, and catering to people who already agree with it. Simple statements like the Euro "carried no obvious benefits" seem childish, especially since he mentioned some of them right at the beginning (more trade & travel between countries, as well as between Europe and the rest of the world). Not to mention the fact that these countries had been at war a few decades earlier, which devastated all countries involved, and a monetary union is a pretty good deterrent to that.

Anyway, there might be some good arguments somewhere in this book, but I'm not willing to trudge through 672 pages to find out. 

I won't rate this book since I didn't finish it, but this is my rant on the author's rant. 

View all my reviews

No comments: