Monday, May 09, 2022

Review: Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models

Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models by Gabriel Weinberg
My rating: 0 of 5 stars








May 7, 2022 – 
 20.0% "I mean, this started out so promising. Based on Charlie Munger's "Mental Models", I was ready to gain tons of knowledge. But so far, it seems to be regurgitating a bunch of Behavioral economics, game theory, etc., which you can find in plenty of other books. Covered so far: Being antifragile, Confirmation bias, recency bias, freeriders, framing effect, etc. I'm waiting for the obligatory Ultimatum game and I'm done."
May 8, 2022 – 
 50.0% "aaand the Pareto principle. Ultimatum game must be coming!

Ok, I'm thinking Behavioral econ is very important for business. So how about all entrepreneurs/biz owners be given a crash course in behavioral econ?
Or maybe hire a bunch of behavioral economists to run a business.

Actually, pit those 2 groups against each other, and see which comes out on top. The conclusions to that would probably warrant another book."Aaaand, we got to the Ultimatum game. This is a DNF for me. I might get back to it later. 

Ok, to be fair they actually covered some scientific points (critical mass, homeostasis, inertia). Maybe the moral is that people should study different disciplines and apply them to various industries/specializations in order to bring fresh points of view (and fresh mental models)

Still, as with many of these, this book was a compendium of other books. Books mentioned so far (that I remember):
Thinking fast and slow
Antifragile
Freakonomics
The wisdom of crowds
Superforecasters
Influence (by Cialdini)
Predictably irrational (Dan Ariely)


View all my reviews

No comments: