Saturday, January 22, 2022

Review: One Million Followers: How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days

One Million Followers: How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days One Million Followers: How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days by Brendan Kane
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This should have been a dnf for me, and I'm sort of annoyed at myself for reading the entire book (I was hoping the sections on other types of social media would be redeeming). 

The book should have either been an informative article, or a longer full-length book concentrating on Facebook. The author obviously has a predilection for Facebook, basically discarding Twitter, snapchat and (somewhat) Instagram. He mentions how LinkedIn is better for B2B, but doesn't go into nearly as much depth for that or Google Adwords (both of which have always worked best for me, and this book hasn't really convinced me otherwise). He also pretty much glosses over Youtube, despite mentioning it is the best place to have longer videos. He doesn't even mention Tiktok, Discord, Telegram, etc. 

It seemed odd to me how he mentions that people on LinkedIn are already there for business purposes, but that Facebook is still a better place to market. This strikes me not only as more geared toward B2C, but for a particular form of B2C (showbiz/entertainment for the general public). My takeaway is that it is probably better to find the budget to pay an influencer for a few posts rather than try to become one myself. 

Having said that, there is quite a bit of detail about Facebook (not quite enough, in my opinion, which is why this would have made a good book solely about Facebook marketing), specifically about A/B tests and about targeting emerging markets. 

View all my reviews

No comments: