Saturday, December 25, 2021

Review: If Cats Disappeared from the World

If Cats Disappeared from the World If Cats Disappeared from the World by Genki Kawamura
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

And so continues my journey through contemporary Japanese fiction dealing with cats. Thus far it's been: "The Traveling Cat Chronicles" by Hiro Arikawa, "The Guest Cat" by Takashi Hiraide (albeit a dnf for me), "I Am a Cat" by Natsume Soseki, various by Haruki Murakami (like "Town of Cats" and "Kafka on the Shore"), and now this one. I wonder how many more there are. 

Regardless, this was a good book if you're in the right mood I guess. It deals with the issue of dying, what will be remembered/left of us once we die, and how you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. It isn't depressing, but if those topics sound trite to you, then don't read this book. 

I can go for topics like these, at times, but not necessarily right now. Still, a cute premise and story.

View all my reviews

No comments: