Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Review: Lugano la bella sconosciuta. Una città inaspettata e curiosa

Lugano la bella sconosciuta. Una città inaspettata e curiosa Lugano la bella sconosciuta. Una città inaspettata e curiosa by Jonas Marti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An excellent book that needed to be written. Now I hope someone (this same author?) writes one for the rest of Ticino. 

I'm only giving it 4 stars, however, because I feel like some things were missing. The Last supper of Ponte Capriasca seems worth mentioning (I take all my friends who visit to go see it): https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Cena_(Ponte_Capriasca)
as well as the old Principessa Sissi statue that used to be behind Farmacia Vittoria, in Piazza Indipendenza. I never knew why the statue was there, and then one day they took it away. I also feel like there are a few stories from Canobbio (where I grew up) that could have been included. 

Also, so much talk about how splendid the Castello di Trevano was, and then just mentioning that it was demolished in 1961. I have figured out why they would have demolished it. Especially just to create the prison-like middle school and high school I attended. What a waste...

Anyway, an excellent trip around the Luganese and the history of the region. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the region. 




View all my reviews

No comments: