Sunday, August 15, 2021

Review: Alaric the Goth: An Outsider's History of the Fall of Rome

Alaric the Goth: An Outsider's History of the Fall of Rome Alaric the Goth: An Outsider's History of the Fall of Rome by Douglas Boin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A great overview of a man I only knew about in passing. Like most people, I associated the Goths (and anything "Gothic") with bad, evil, sinister things and people. This book does a lot to dispel those notions, which I appreciated. 

It seems like we're a bit short on first-hand material on Alaric, so much of this had to be conjecture, as well as a lot of background to help the reader understand. 

Still, it is well worth reading, since this is an important character whose story deserves to be told. 

Also, the parallels between the waning days of the Roman Empire and these days jump out at you. 


View all my reviews

No comments: