Sunday, July 18, 2021

Review: Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ok I'm pretty embarrassed. I started reading this book and found myself really enjoying the first couple stories. In fact, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. So I started wondering why I was so surprised, and tried to remember what I had thought of previous Lahiri books. Only then did I realize this is my first Jhumpa Lahiri book. 

I've been calling myself a fan of hers for a while, ever since I heard her interview with Tyler Cowen, and read about how she moved to Italy, learned Italian, translated Starnone's "I Lacci" into English (which I then read), and then wrote her own novel in Italian, which she also then translated (and I have yet to read). 

But this is the first original work of hers that I have read. Usually short stories are always hit or miss for me, but I must say these were pretty much all hits. If I had to pick, I'd say my favorites were:

When Mr. Pirzada came to dine
Interpreter of Maladies
Mrs. Sen's
The Treatment of Bibi Haldar
The Third and Final Continent


View all my reviews

No comments: