Monday, May 03, 2021

Review: Facing the Bridge

Facing the Bridge Facing the Bridge by Yōko Tawada
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really need to be in the right mood to read Tawada's books. This contained three short stories. I enjoyed reading all three, right until the end. They each seem not to end, but just to stop, without really saying or concluding anything. It is quite odd. 

Anyway, for the first story, I feel like she could have explained a bit more why Amo decided to do what he did at the end. In fact, I wasn't sure why Tamao was acting the way he was half the time either. 

In the second story, it seemed to be getting interesting, but abruptly ended (on a weird note). 

The third story was somewhat engrossing, and probably had more symbolism than I could catch. Once again the ending was very odd to me. 

Probably should have been a dnf, but I was curious about the last story since it was called "St. George and the Translator".


View all my reviews

No comments: