Saturday, May 29, 2021

Review: Diary of a Madman and Other Stories

Diary of a Madman and Other Stories Diary of a Madman and Other Stories by Lu Xun
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed all of these stories. The title story was interesting. I confess I don't see the political angle as much (this was written before there was a communist movement), although that doesn't mean it's not there. I do see a critique of historical values, as well as general paranoia. 

The other stories are all about people who are not well off, living outside of major metropolises. In other words, about those who had usually been neglected in literature. All his stories were written in the vernacular as well (白話), which adds to this effect. 

The last story (Forging the Swords) was in a different style, but also nice as a change of pace. 

I think my favorite is still The True Story of Ah Q (a re-read for me). 

View all my reviews

No comments: