Friday, January 15, 2021

Review: Mannequin

Mannequin Mannequin by Ch'oe Yun
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was ready to give up on this book after around 50 pages, but several reviews by people whose opinions I value pushed me to continue. I can't say I'm happy I did. 

I'm sure there is value in the book, but it's rife with the type of symbolism I usually don't catch, or, if I do, it does nothing for me. A lady of almost supernatural beauty is completely used by her family. She runs away, and other strangers find her beautiful, but rather than recognize her, she comes to symbolize things that are missing or wrong in their lives (I think). In the meantime there are other parts, dealing with her family members, with Conch, a diver who quickly forgot his wife (who died on their wedding night) and decided to chase after the beautiful "goddess", and with a very very young mother with a baby whose section I really didn't get. 

I think I appreciate stories that stand more firmly in reality. Too bad, I really enjoyed the other book I read by Ch'oe Yun, "The Last of Hanako". 

View all my reviews

No comments: