Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Review: Amrita

Amrita Amrita by Banana Yoshimoto
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is probably among my favorite Banana Yoshimoto books, although I would have been just as satisfied (perhaps more so) if it had ended halfway through. I don't think much more was added with more story, given that there isn't much of a plot. There is her usual surrealism, which is always comparable to, but slightly different from, Murakami's. Otherwise it is just the story of a girl, her mother, her little brother, and other characters. It is a blend of the somewhat incredible and the very mundane, showing how life often is that way, and continues despite what happens or has happened.

I did enjoy reading it all the way through, however, since it made me nostalgic for Japan. I'm not really sure why.





View all my reviews

No comments: