Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Review: Il mio Dante

Il mio Dante Il mio Dante by Roberto Benigni
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a great book. I had never been able to catch any of Benigni's lectures on Dante, which I heard were excellent. Having read this book I can certainly believe it. My main complaint is that it only touches upon a fraction of the Divine Comedy. 

Benigni brings Dante to our living rooms and makes him a friendly (very intelligent) neighbor who talks to us about life and, especially, death. 


Some great asides that didn't have anything to do with the Divina Commedia itself:
"Un libro che resiste così tanto, o è erotico o è religioso. Prendiamo la Bibbia: non esiste opera più erotica e mistica della Bibbia"
"La Bibbia infatti è l'unico caso un cui l'autore del libro è anche l'autore dei lettori." (p. 26)

"Il mondo si divide in due: quelli che dividono il mondo in due e quelli che non lo dividono."
"Anche a me piace la vita, perció morire sarà l'ultima cosa che farò." (p. 28)


View all my reviews

No comments: