Saturday, September 26, 2020

Review: The White Book

The White Book The White Book by Han Kang
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I didn't enjoy this book, but I recognize it was probably my fault. I wasn't really in the mood for it. On the other hand, I don't foresee any point in time when I'll be in the mood for depressing short stories that make me feel drained.

Most of them have to do with her mother giving birth to her older sister, two months premature, all alone at home (she had to sterilize her own pair of scissors to cut the umbilical cord), and then having the baby die while holding her. It is heartbreaking. There are also stories about Warsaw, since she was apparently living there.


"Glittering" was probably my favorite story, since it was the only one that was at least somewhat optimistic

Some, like "Clouds", seemed more like poetry than prose.

View all my reviews

No comments: