Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Review: A Slow Walk through Jeong-dong

A Slow Walk through Jeong-dong A Slow Walk through Jeong-dong by Michael Gibb
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Another book I'm reading during COVID so I can vicariously travel, using it and google streetview (or Kakaomaps) as a guide. 

This is excellent. I wish more travel books were written in this manner. I took copious notes on the locations and their history. Some of the coffee shops and restaurants seem to be gone, but otherwise I can't wait until I'm back in Seoul and can take an afternoon to follow this itinerary. 

I keep hoping the author will do the same for other parts of Seoul, but I guess that is too much to ask. 

Some random notes I took:

Jeongno gil used to be called Legation Street, when Western countries first set up their embassies


Horace G. Underwood founded Chosun Christian College (which joined another school to become Yonsei)

Mary F. Scranton founded Ewha girls' school


View all my reviews

No comments: