Saturday, September 05, 2020

Review: Early Korean Literature: Selections and Introductions

Early Korean Literature: Selections and Introductions Early Korean Literature: Selections and Introductions by David R. McCann
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The first part of this book was excellent. I appreciated the journey through the different types of Korean Literature over time, with an introduction explaining each one followed by some examples. 

One of my favorites:
Jade Green Stream, don't boast so proud
of your easy passing through these blue hills.
Once you have reached the broad sea
to return again will be hard. 
While the bright Moon fills these empty hills,
why not pause? Then go on, if you will.
-Hwang Chin-i (#2056)

The last part, however, (Negotiations in Korean Literary Culture) was way over my head. The analyses seem to be aimed at experts in the field, and I think I absorbed very little of it all. 

View all my reviews

No comments: