Sunday, August 23, 2020

Review: Language A to Z

Language A to Z Language A to Z by John McWhorter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my third book/course by John McWhorter and yet again it is excellent. I was afraid that a lot of the material would be repeated but, while there definitely was some overlap, there was so much that was refreshing and new that I find myself wishing to listen to it again just so I can take more notes. Here are some of the ones I took this time around:

Record, Recall, Rebel are all pronounced differently if a verb or noun. 
The etymology of eenie, meenie, minie moe and hickory dickory dock were excellent (both from Welsh numbers)
H for Hobbit and T for Tones were probably my favorite sections, especially his examples ('boat' and 'poat') of how tones can come into being.


View all my reviews

No comments: