Monday, May 11, 2020

Review: Fired

Fired Fired by Chang, Kangmyoung
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Many moons ago I worked in Seoul for 2 years, in a Market research agency. My company was very similar to the one in this book, in that it was a Korean branch of a European company. Of course, this was more or less a generation earlier (back in 2002), but many of the same issues and conflicts existed.

This is unfortunately all too short, and will probably just be read in one setting, but it gives a glimpse into life in a Korean office, and the conflicts that arise beneath the surface. I enjoyed it a lot, and I'll be looking for more by this author.

Btw, the afterword is probably required reading for non-Koreans, since it will clear up a couple points of the novel. Also, I agree with another reviewer re: the McCune-Reischauer Romanization. I wish they would just do away with that already.

View all my reviews

No comments: