Saturday, March 14, 2020

Review: The Muse Asylum

The Muse Asylum The Muse Asylum by David Czuchlewski
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked this up at the Bookrack in Charlotte, completely on spec. I wanted a not-too-long fiction book. These gambles rarely work, but this was an exception.

I disagree with some other commenters, who say they didn't like the dialog. That might have been one of the first things that grabbed me. It wasn't common, nor awkward, but quick, erudite and witty enough to keep me going.

The story itself dragged me into it, including the "madness" sections, and I thought I had figured out the twist, and then, turns out I hadn't.

Anyway, I'm very happy I discovered this author, and I shall be searching for more of his books.

I find it amusing to read that the author was a student of Joyce Carol Oates', who describes the book as post-modern, when there is a scathing commentary within the book on terms like "post-modernism".


Also, I really wanted to read all the short stories mentioned in the book.

View all my reviews

No comments: