Thursday, February 06, 2020

Review: Taiwan Literature: Special Issue on Kuo-Ch'ing Tu

Taiwan Literature: Special Issue on Kuo-Ch'ing Tu Taiwan Literature: Special Issue on Kuo-Ch'ing Tu by Kuo-Ch'ing Tu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"Thus, long ago, I offered my heart to the goddess of poetry as an altar for her to trample it as she wished". Tu Kuo-ching is obviously a very serious poet. Unfortunately, every time I read poetry I feel like I'm probably just not deep enough of a person. I try, but most of it is just over my head.

It doesn't help that I'm sure there are a couple typos (i.e. corps instead of corpse).

I confess I only skimmed two of the final three essays, written by others as commentary on Tu's work. The second one (the one I read) discussed how his international background shaped his point of view. It is more specific than that, but that's the point I found interesting (the 'compound eyes' view he has).


View all my reviews

No comments: