Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Review: Last Words from Montmartre

Last Words from Montmartre Last Words from Montmartre by Qiu Miaojin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a book without a plot, which I tend to dislike out of hand. It is also one filled with intense feeling and emotions, which I usually avoid. However, for some reason, it was fascinating and kept me enthralled throughout. I am sure this is also because of the background. Knowing the author killed herself around a week after having written these letters, the book itself becomes haunting.

This book is probably what "The Sorrows of Young Werther" had set out to be, but it was more successful, at least in my opinion. I really felt like I was in the author's head, seeing her thoughts as they occurred. She seems to be a 26-year-old who was too smart, too passionate and too intense for her world.


View all my reviews

No comments: