Thursday, January 23, 2020

Review: Beyond the Black Pig's Dyke: A Short History of Ulster

Beyond the Black Pig's Dyke: A Short History of Ulster Beyond the Black Pig's Dyke: A Short History of Ulster by Art O. Broin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For non-Irish I'm thinking a map would help every 2 pages or so. Many locations, cities and counties are mentioned, without any maps. Granted, I came to this not knowing much about Ireland at all, but I think this book could have used some help. In addition to a map, possibly a timeline of main events, and possibly short bios of the main protagonists in footnotes or something.

As it was, it was certainly interesting, but I found myself lost and having to reread sections over and over.

Regardless, I did learn some interesting factoids. Would have liked to learn more about the Ulster-Scot emigration to the States, and possibly about the decline and then spread of Gaelic, and when and how different areas were affected by this.

View all my reviews

No comments: