Monday, November 18, 2019

Review: Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by James C. Collins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

By and large some good information that I plan on using. However, Collins sort of digs his own grave here by not only highlighting great companies, but discounting leaders who can't sustain greatness after they're gone (non-level 5 leaders). The issue here is that plenty of the companies he calls great have since done pretty poorly (Circuit city, Fannie mae), but he can't just say "Well they were great once but now not so much" since that goes against his Level 5 leadership attribute of continuing greatness after they are gone.

Regardless, I took some notes for takeaways I plan on applying:
- Be driven to do what's best for the company
- Hedgehog concept:
Find intersection of what I can be best in the world at, what I like, and what earns money
- Culture of discipline
- Use Technology to accelerate growth (but don't just use technology because everyone else is)
- The Flywheel: Basically compound interest in terms of added effect of small initiatives
- BHAG: Probably better motivation than small "realistic" goals


View all my reviews

No comments: