Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Review: Goguryeo: In Search of Its Culture and History

Goguryeo: In Search of Its Culture and History Goguryeo: In Search of Its Culture and History by Ho-T'Ae Chon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this, although it gave me the impression of a collection of writings next to museum exhibits (it isn't). The best part was probably the paintings, and it is beyond me how they could decipher some of them, seeing how faded they are. Also, it is a pity that so many of the sites are in North Korea, since we probably could have much more details about this kingdom otherwise.

I found it odd that they left a history of the kingdom to the end, rather than start with it at the beginning.

Also odd that there wasn't a section on their language. This was one of the points I'm was most curious about. Was it closer to Korean or Manchurian? A mixture? Neither of the two? I don't know. It isn't even mentioned.



View all my reviews

No comments: