Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Review: Lady Audley's Secret

Lady Audley's Secret Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I figured out what Lady Audley's Secret, guessing that maybe something that is obvious to the reader of today might have not been so to the pre-Sherlock Holmes reader of the 1860s. And then it turned out I was wrong, and what I thought was the secret was nothing but a ruse, and it seems that the reader of today (at least, this reader) can still be tricked by the writer of the 1860s.

Regardless, this has quite a few interesting aspects: murder, bigamy, detective work (not at a Sherlock Holmes level, but interesting nonetheless), insanity, etc. But I appreciated the (slight) nuance regarding the villain the most. You don't empathize per se, but, well, you'll see.

A bit slow at points, but all in all a good find.

View all my reviews

No comments: