Sunday, August 11, 2019

Review: The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I confess I read this out of guilt. Humboldt's name is one that I had heard before and thought I should probably know something about, but really didn't. Anyway, I'm very glad I picked up this book.

Humboldt was certainly a character, and probably one of the first to decide to live freely, and not be confined by states or politics, in order to discover the world. He also was pretty much the precursor to Darwin's theory of evolution.

The last section of the book seemed like a bit of a stretch, since it dealt with people who were inspired by Humboldt, and then people who were inspired by the people who were inspired by Humboldt, etc. But it was all very enlightening.

View all my reviews

No comments: