Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Review: All This I Will Give to You

All This I Will Give to You All This I Will Give to You by Dolores Redondo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

PROBABLE SPOILERS AHEAD:
Part drama, part mystery. But for some reason it didn't really work for me. I feel like the book was trying to do too much. It wasn't fast paced enough to be a real murder mystery, but it didn't really have enough drama to be a real drama.

Sort of annoying how Alvaro was the best of the best of the best (turns out to be a noble out of the blue, is honorable, stood up for his brother, made money for the family, was extremely knowledgable about wine growing, was the only noble who loved hanging around with non-nobility, etc. etc.), and then had dark secrets, which were obviously all a misunderstanding because he's the best of the best of the best. He just seemed a bit too cardboard cutout to me.

Can't say I liked the whole pedophile priest angle either, since I feel like it's quite played out at this point.

I realize these are all bad points. But from around 3/4 of the way through it started getting more interesting, and the ending was great (aside from the police officer's home life. The ending seemed too trite for me. I think they could have just skipped that whole part).

Oh, and I loved reading about Galicia.

View all my reviews

No comments: