Saturday, July 13, 2019

Review: Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture

Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fascinating read. At times a bit too technical for me, but it makes sense, seeing as how Brunelleschi was a genius engineer and architect of his time. I had to remind myself several times that this was before the renaissance, and they were really working with rudimentary tools, some of which hadn't changed in almost 2,000 years.

Apparently, in 1421, Brunelleschi received the world's first ever patent for an invention. And some of the inventions he created for hoisting supplies up to the dome were incredible.

And the hoax Brunelleschi played on a man he didn't like (P. 80) was excellent.


4.5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments: