Monday, March 25, 2019

Review: Kyunyo-Jon: The Life, Times and Songs of a Tenth-Century Korean Monk

Kyunyo-Jon: The Life, Times and Songs of a Tenth-Century Korean Monk Kyunyo-Jon: The Life, Times and Songs of a Tenth-Century Korean Monk by Adrian Buzo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a book about an eleventh century biography (hagiography?) of a tenth century monk. I found the introduction indispensable, and the first part of Appendix B (about the early Korean writing system) quite interesting. In fact, they were probably more enlightening than the text itself, which, as I mentioned, is pretty hagiographical, essentially Marketing Kyunyo to Chinese and other non-Koreans.

Also a great introduction to Hua yen (Hwaom) Buddhism.

I'm glad someone translated and annotated this, but mainly because of the information surrounding it rather than the text itself.


View all my reviews

No comments: