Friday, February 22, 2019

Review: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

DO NOT get the audio version of this book. I'm not sure why, but the narrator decided to give all (yes, All) the characters Japanese accents. This is a translated work, so I really don't see the reason for this. It just detracts from the story (and took me a long time to get used to). It gets extra ridiculous when coming up with a weird accent for a Finnish person who is supposed to be able to speak Japanese fluently. It's some Finnish-Japanese accented English.

Anyway, as for the story itself, it is typical Murakami. Much less surrealism, and more retrospection. I'd probably rank this above Norwegian Wood and below Kafka on the shore. In other words, I'd highly recommend it. Just NOT the audio version.

View all my reviews

No comments: