Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I confess I didn't enjoy this book all that much. I realize it's a different, more poetic style, without a distinct plot, but more a narration of events, mostly several years in the past, with a storyline in the present that become more clear as the book progresses. The issue may be that I just don't enjoy this style all that much. I realize it's different and it conveys emotions, more than a chronology of events leading up to a climax, but I always feel books like this are just trying too hard. I'm not even sure what that means, since obviously authors are trying to write a good book, but it's just a feeling I get.

Anyway, given all that, in retrospect I decided to increase my rating to a 4, since I found myself thinking about the storylines and the events and people quite a bit after having finished the book and having given it some time.

View all my reviews

No comments: