Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Review: In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Quite interesting. As the first of its kind it sometimes doesn't feel as polished as a modern version of this would be, and at other times it seems more contrived. Sometimes the dialog is clearly changed in order to sound more like a work of fiction (e.g. direct dialog quotes from dialog that wouldn't be remembered verbatim, a few too many coincidences, etc.), and at other times some extra information is added that seems not to pertain to the story directly. I must admit I liked it a lot though, and I think it has aged quite well. Including being a glimpse into life in Western Kansas in the 1950s. His deep deep dive into this case and the people involved in it pays off.

I also get the impression that this was a book that was needed when it came out; when crime, criminals and the circumstances surrounding criminal activity were viewed very differently.



View all my reviews

No comments: