Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Review: The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning

The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning by Steven Pressfield
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It might just be my impression but I felt like he bit off more than he could chew here. This book is *much* more philosophical than the other books I've read by him ("Do the work" and "The War of Art"), and I felt like it missed the mark. He quotes Jung, Marx, Homer, Joseph Campbell, and many others, but just seems to pick and choose random quotes or tidbits. I couldn't help feeling like he wanted to sound philosophical, but wasn't sure exactly how.

I did like some of the points he made, such as how all artists create empathy through their art (not sure if it's all that true for songs, but definitely seems true for books, movies and paintings).

I also liked his notion of following the muse. I just don't think he had to justify it with so many odd references.

Probably 2.5 stars. I would recommend checking out some of his other books first.

View all my reviews

No comments: