Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Review: The Impossible Fairy Tale

The Impossible Fairy Tale The Impossible Fairy Tale by Han Yujoo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok, I think I have to join all the other reviewers who have no idea what to make of this book. It was disturbing, and the writing style was odd but somehow catching. The second half made it more confusing, but also much more interesting. For some reason I really enjoyed the afterword.

I have to confess, however, that I didn't fully understand the style, and it probably needs to be read in the original language to be fully appreciated (or understood).

SERIOUS SPOILERS BELOW
The first half had that ambience of pointlessness that I've come across in other contemporary Korean fiction, but the writing style definitely added to the general feeling of hopelessness. The second half was the oddest part. It was from a teacher's point of view, although I don't think it was the teacher from the first half, but rather the author herself, and the person she's talking to is the main character from the first half. Somewhat reminiscent of Pirandello's "Six characters in search of an Author", but here she finds her author and has some questions for her. At least that's how I saw it. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. The writing style was definitely not one of the clearest. Oddly enough I really liked the afterword.

4 stars, for now

View all my reviews

No comments: