Sunday, October 07, 2018

Review: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It took me a while to get into it (maybe the first chapter), but after that it was excellent. They really need to create a modern day version of this. Possibly a movie. Obviously most things are tongue and cheek, although the ending is a bit different.

I listened to the audio version, narrated by Nick Offerman, and he was excellent as well.

The only quote I jotted down:
"It reminded me of a time thirteen centuries away, when the "poor whites" of our South who were always despised and frequently insulted by the slave-lords around them, and who owed their base condition simply to the presence of slavery in their midst, were yet pusillanimously ready to side with the slave-lords in all political moves for the upholding and perpetuating of slavery, and did also finally shoulder their muskets and pour out their lives in an effort to prevent the destruction of that very institution which degraded them."

View all my reviews

No comments: