Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Magnifico: The Brilliant Life and Violent Times of Lorenzo de' Medici by Miles J. Unger

Magnifico: The Brilliant Life and Violent Times of Lorenzo de' MediciMagnifico: The Brilliant Life and Violent Times of Lorenzo de' Medici by Miles J. Unger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm surprised this is the first time I've come across a biography of this man that I've been hearing of my whole life. A very interesting man, who obviously loved art and poetry, was thrust into the political intrigue of renaissance Florence, and succeeded with flying colors, always regretting the fact that he couldn't spend more time on his art. The book does a great job of detailing his life, as well as Renaissance Florence, with appearances by Ficino, Verrocchio, Davinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Savonarola, Macchiavelli, etc. etc.

Also, apparently Piero de Medici once asked Michelangelo to sculpt him a snowman. Michelangelo refused.



View all my reviews

No comments: